"As a family-owned close-knit business, we are constantly trying to push our employees outside of their comfort zones to generate money for great causes."
Sales Director, Richard Delooze
Colleagues at Winsford-based business, UK Container Maintenance (UKCM), have taken part in a gruelling 14 hour, 72 hole golf challenge at Carden Park Golf Course in Tarporley on Wednesday 28th August.
Joining the team for the 6am tee off was UKCM’s Sales Director, Richard Delooze and Factory Director, Ben Clarke, along with Mitchel Brown from Brown Recycling Ltd and James Martin.
The competitors were on their feet for the full duration of the challenge, trekking around 20 miles and hitting the ball over 300 times. As well as it testing their physical attributes, it also questioned their mental toughness – as any keen golfer will testify, the sport requires the utmost concentration.
Having set themselves a target of £2,000, all funds raised will be donated to UKCM’s chosen charities of the year, The Joshua Tree in Northwich and St Luke’s Hospice in Winsford.
“As a family-owned close-knit business, we are constantly trying to push our employees outside of their comfort zones to generate money for great causes. I’d like to feel we can get over half the workforce involved in some kind of challenge over the next 12 months so we can give something back to our local community,” said Richard Delooze.
Andy Bailey of St Luke’s Hospice in Winsford said, “We receive just 15% of our funding from government so the other 85% we rely on local community and corporate support. It’s brilliant to have been chosen as one of UKCM’s charity of the year!”
Helen Ritchie, Corporate Partnership Officer at The Joshua Tree says, ““The funds raised from UKCM’s charity golf day will go towards building our new purpose built support centre in Sandiway, Cheshire which will provide an appropriate and much needed environment for our families, accommodating children of all ages from toddlers through to teenagers and young adults. The support we’re getting from UKCM is incredibly helpful.”
The team were up at first light for a 6am tee off and completed the challenge at around 8pm.