"Words Weekend celebrates the power of words and stories with a packed programme of talks, workshops, panel discussions, music and spoken word. "
· The inaugural Words Weekend, with highlights including Nadia Hussain, Marian Keyes, Terry Deary, Stacey Dooley and Grayson Perry
· Two fantastic Folkworks shows - May Monday, Karen Tweed & Timo and Postcards & Pocketbooks: The Best of Bella Hardy
· A Dementia Friendly Performance of RNS Chamber Music
· RNS Moves, featuring disabled and non-disabled musicians with members of Royal Northern Sinfonia
Saturday 7 September, 6pm
Free but ticketed
Following the success of their launch concert in September 2018, RNS Moves is back!
This unique, inclusive ensemble brings together disabled and non-disabled musicians, and features members of Royal Northern Sinfonia performing alongside colleagues such as Clarence Adoo.
This will be the group’s second performance at Sage Gateshead, and the programme will include traditional classical works adapted for the ensemble alongside contemporary repertoire.
The concert will last approximately one hour with no interval.
Dementia Friendly Performance: RNS Chamber Music
Wednesday 16 October, 12.30pm
· Stamitz Oboe Quartet in E flat, Op.8 No.4
· Elgar Andante and Allegro for Oboe and String Trio
· Mozart String Quartet in D, K499 ‘Hoffmeister’ (selected movements)
An RNS chamber music performance in a supportive and relaxed environment, suited to those with dementia and their families/carers.
This performance is dementia friendly:
· There will be additional signage around Sage Gateshead, with symbols and pictures
· There will be additional staff on hand to help
· The house lights will be up slightly
· A quiet room will be available before, during and after the performance
· The seating arrangements will be flexible and visitors can move seats during the performance
· Audience members are able to move around the hall or come in and out
· If a familiarisation visit would be helpful, or you have questions regarding wheelchair access or disabled parking, we would be very happy to help. Just contact our Box Office on 0191 443 4661 for more information
One free ticket is available for the essential carer of those who need assistance to attend this performance. (Carers’ tickets cannot be booked online)
May Monday, Karen Tweed & Timo
Thursday 7 November, 8pm
Both Karen Tweed and Timo Alakotila are supreme lyrical performers who have a true gift for uncovering the spirit and text of the tunes they play.
It’s been 16 years since the first May Monday album. Six years later came Midnight May Monday, followed by Midsummer May Monday. These recordings are a testament to the enduring and magical partnership of the vivacious and elegant accordionist Karen Tweed and the quiet genius of pianist, composer and arranger Timo Alakotila.
Postcards & Pocketbooks: The Best of Bella Hardy
Saturday 9 November, 8pm
Bella Hardy has sung unaccompanied ballads at a sold-out Royal Albert Hall. She’s taken a band of drums, brass and electronics to the National Concert Hall of Budapest. She’s learnt the songs of Chinese farmers as she helped gather ginger in Yunnan Province. She’s sat on the moors of her beloved Peak District with only her fiddle for company. She’s worked as a ranch hand, looking after horses and fiddle-singing in the diners of Tennessee.
With her mesmerising voice and ability to conjure and twist stories that call straight to the heart, Bella has beguiled audiences from Canada to Japan, from Spanish bars to castles, from the moors to the Royal Albert Hall.
Words Weekend 2019
Friday 6 December – Sunday 8 December
This December, Fane Productions brings the first edition of a brand-new festival to Sage Gateshead.
Words Weekend celebrates the power of words and stories with a packed programme of talks, workshops, panel discussions, music and spoken word.
More than 25% of events are free, and all are fully accessible. Through the power of words and stories, Words Weekend aims to unite communities and ignite imaginations.
There truly is something for everyone!
Highlights include: Nadiya Hussain, Bernardine Evaristo and David Olusoga, Marian Keyes, Terry Deary, Elif Shafak, Dr Jon Copley, Michael Morpurgo, Jay Rayner, Stacey Dooley, Grayson Perry and many more!